आयुर्वेद - एक संक्षिप्त परिचय ....
The word “Ayurveda” comprises of two words, ayuh, meaning 'life' and veda, meaning ‘science', (आयुष्य वेदः इति आयुर्वेद) thus ayurveda in literal sense means the 'science of life'. Indeed, the Ayurveda is not only a medical science but an art of the life too. So, you can say that Ayurveda is a science and art of life. In this parlance it is very important to know the science of the art and art of the science. Art makes the subject more interesting and appealing …so the Ayurved is more scientific, more interesting, more influential and more appealing.
Ayurveda is an ancient medical science, originated in the Indian subcontinent about 5000 years ago and is considered to be one of the most advance medical therapies existing in the world till now. In contemporary times, it has also gained popularity in the western world. It has been a popular and influential system of medicine in entire South Asia. The earliest literature of this traditional medicine system is said to have appeared during the Vedic period in India. The most influential of these Ayurvedic literatures has been the Sushruta Samhita, the Charaka Samhita and recently revealed Kashyap Samhita. Ayurveda is said to be a fully developed scientific art of life with a number of unique and exclusive medicinal therapies and surgical procedures for the treatment of various ailments and diseases.अष्टांग आयुर्वेद (Eight Branches Of Ayurveda)
Ayurveda, being a vast science is divided into eight branches, which are collectively called as Ashtang Ayurveda. Like any other modern medicinal therapies, Ayurveda believes in specialized treatment for different body parts. Thus, the art of medicine have been categorized under branches that deal with psychiatry, internal medicine, treatment of eyes, ears, nose, throat and head, toxicology and gerontology separately. Ayurveda is the first ever medicine system to categorize pediatrics, aphrodisiacs and surgery as the branches of any medicinal science.
List Of The Eight Branches of Ayurveda
List Of The Eight Branches of Ayurveda
- कायचिकित्सा (Internal Medicine):- Ayurveda is the holistic approach, which is mainly concerned with the treatment of the body. In the process, the person undergoes a change in the lifestyle, which includes change in food, clothing, behaviors and conducts. Purification of the body is essence of kaayachikitsaa called पंचकर्म. The Ayurveda focuses on the prevention of the health rather than treatment of the diseases.
- शल्य चिकित्सा (Surgery):- In the ancient India, surgery was principally pioneered by Ayurveda. Shalya Chikitsa is a significant branch of Ayurvedic science. The name of the sage-physician, Sushruta, is synonymous with surgery. From his treatise Sushruta Samhita, we have become aware of the thousands of years ago sophisticated methods of surgery that were practiced in India. The well known Indian method of rhinoplasty is the boon of Ayurveda to the modern medical science.
- बाल-चिकित्सा/ कौमारभृत्य (Pediatrics):- काश्यप संहिता is the old treatise which includes not only pediatrics but gynecology and obstetrics too. The great pediatrician sage Kashyap introduced medicinal linctuses (सुवर्णप्राश etc.) as lictus ceremony (लेहन संस्कार) of the new born (जातक) to induce acquired immunity.
- ग्रह-चिकित्सा (Psychiatry)
- ऊर्ध्वांग-चिकित्सा(शालाक्य):- It includes treatment of eyes, ears, nose, throat and head. The well known King Janak was a great ophthalmic surgeon of his time who used to practice the treatment of cataract by surgical methods. Nimi tantra is said to be a great treatise of ophthalmology.
- दंष्ट्र-चिकित्सा(अगद तंत्र) -Toxicology
- जरा-चिकित्सा(रसायन):-Gerontology or old age therapy, includes longevity, improved memory, youthfulness, glow, complexion, generosity, strength of the body and sense faculties ….and delays old age factors.
· वृष्य-चिकित्सा (वाजीकरण):- Vrishya-Chtikitsa is a branch of Ayurveda that explains the science and art of producing healthy progeny by using aphrodisiacs for the creation of a better society and Nation.